A resilient country, recovering from a dark past, Cambodia has now become a tourist destination for both luxury travellers and backpackers alike. With stunning landscapes and exotic temples, ten days in Cambodia gives you ample time to cover Siem Reap, the charming gateway to Angkor temples, Phnom Penh ; the scenic riverside city and Battambang ; known for its bamboo train rides.
Our abode for the night and the next few days was the Golden Temple Retreat. There was no particular reason for choosing this but the reviews were great so we thought – why not?
We were greeted at the airport by “May” the Guest relations officer with cold towels and king coconut water, and in addition a few traditional sweets like milk rice and jak fruit wrapped in betel leaves.
The hotel is small, snug and the staff extremely friendly. Genuinely friendly. They go out of their way and are very obliging.
We tried a few dishes like the Khmer chicken curry and beef along with lime pickle rice and washed it down with Angkor beer. It tastes quite good actually! The food – a mix of Thai and Sri Lanka so far. Mild spices and lots of coconut milk.
The pool at the Golden temple is quite big and despite the high occupancy, you still feel at home.
We hopped into one of the local Tuks and headed over to the Phare, Cambodian circus. If it’s your first time in Cambodia like myself, this is certainly a must watch. Pre book your tickets via get your guide or Viator to avoid the queues and disappointment. It was packed with around 350 people and the circus was unique and entertaining.
Mostly street kids passionate about arts, theatre and the circus performing their hearts out. They have some serious talent! It’s around one hour and well worth the money. If you are unable to follow the story, you do have giant tv screens with English and French translations but I bet you really wouldn’t care when you’re fixating on the well built boys summersaulting and juggling ten oranges all at once !
Our temple hopping adventures take place during day 2, 3 and 4 and we can’t wait to check out what’s in store!
- Golden Temple Retreat gives you easy access to wherever you want to go.
- There’s a free airport pick up and drop off included
- The rooms are spacious with large balconies. (Bathrooms have no doors so if you are traveling with a friend ; this might be .. Well!)
- The staff : Icing on the cake. Helpful, always with a smile and absolutely amazing
- The Spa is excellent, clean and quite affordable
- Cocktails : generous
- They even have an Apsara show with dinner and a cooking class in the morning with a certificate for participation
- Ooooh and a farewell t shirt as a souvenir ! Book direct via: http://retreat.goldentempleretreat.com